Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Rhetorical Action Plan

In this post I will discuss my rhetorical action plan for Project 3.
Zack Tartufo. "Logo of Simple Plan Foundation" Oct 14 2012.  Threshold of Originality.
Audience

In my argument I am going to try and persuade physical therapists and patients of physical therapy that electrical stimulation is an effective treatment. 

Knowledge: At the very least my audience has a general knowledge about different types of physical therapy treatments and how they are used. Obviously, the actual PTs that read my article will have much more knowledge on the topic than the patients that are looking to receive treatment. It is likely that the PTs will have heard about electrical therapy and how it works. The patients on the other hand will most likely have very minimal knowledge about it.

Values: The two audiences will most likely share the same values. These values include the health and safety of the patient receiving the treatment (that the treatment won't cause any weird side effects), that the treatment is actually going to work, and that it is efficient and has more benefits that it does costs.

Standards of Argument: Research on the success of the treatment and facts on how the treatment really works will be the most effective will be the most persuasive. Providing this type of information will make my argument hard to disagree with. I will most likely have to make the research simple in order to persuade the patients but the physical therapists will be able to understand any obscure terms.

Visual Elements: My audience will most likely respond to images of the treatment being done/what it looks like and graphs and charts showing statistics along with it. This represents real life examples and facts.

Purpose: My audience is reading my argument to expand their understanding of electrical stimulation. For physical therapists especially to make them more well rounded in their career and it will expand their options when treating theirs patients. My argument is likely to do this by providing facts and personal experience.

Genre

1. I've decided to write an informative article on a professional website pertaining to health and medicine. 


Function: I chose this genre because I feel it's the best option that pertains to both physical therapists and their patients. It is designed to formally inform both of my audiences properly. 

Setting: As I stated before, I see it being posted on a medical website that has more of a professional, official tone. 

Use of Rhetoric: I will mostly be focusing on logos as my argument is based heavily on facts. I will also incorporate pathos when regarding costs of the treatment, etc.

Visual Elements: I won't be using too many visual elements to keep my article a little more professional, but if I do use images it will be of the actual treatment in use.

Style: The style of my article will be formal.

2. I could write an in-depth QRG (this would pertain more to the patients)


Function: This genre would provide a shorter but very detailed explanation with scannable topics covering all aspects of the treatment. This option would pertain more to the patient side of my audience because most of the information here wouldn't be new to the physical therapists.

Setting: I can see this being posted to a website that discusses health as well as other topics. For example a major magazine website that also has a health/wellness page. I would expect the website it's posted on to be more focused on health topics but not exclusive to them.

Use of Rhetoric: Similar to my other genre, I will mostly stick to logos, but here I will appeal a little more to pathos than before due to the audience.

Visual Elements: I will most likely use some type of visual evidence. Definitely more than I would in my previous genre. I would use an opening picture of the treatment being done/the setting it would be done in. Something that's a little less formal and more persuasive. 

Style: For this genre I will still shoot to be formal but it would not be as formal as my previous genre.

Responses/Actions

After reading my argument I would like my audience to realize the benefits of using electrical stimulation as a treatment in physical therapy. 

Positive reactions:
1. The patients that read my argument want to participate in the treatment
2. PTs that read this use it to treat their patients
3. Technology for e-stim becomes more developed because of people using it more frequently.

Negative reactions: 
1. Audience sees insurance issues regarding the treatment as a deciding factor
2. Physical therapists think that other treatments would be more effective and decide to disregard my argument.
3. Physical therapists think that because the treatment is sort of time sensitive they do not want to take the time do learn the certain conditions that come with the treatment.









3 comments:

  1. Your rhetorical plan is nicely created. I think it will help you a lot when you are drafting because you have considered the context you're writing in. Also, I like the genres you picked to write in. We both feel informative essays would be effective in presenting our arguments. However, I did not consider a QRG even though that would be an effective way to present you argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your argument will be a lot more scientific than mine will be. I think the idea of a QRG of sorts would be good for this topic because you are trying to introduce patients to this treatment, but I am not sure that Bottai wants us to write in a genre that we have already used. I am having the same issue determining how to differ an article format for this project from the essay format that we used for project 2.

    It will be cool to see how you could incorporate images into your project, especially because my topic isn't as visual or scientific as yours is. Good job on this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that someone else other than me has this type of strategy for creating an argumentative article. The QRG will probable be the most effective method to present your topic and position due to the flow of the genre as a whole. I think that type of style doesn't overwhelm the reader with too much information, but give a decent idea of the issue.

    ReplyDelete