Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Draft Thesis Statements

In this post I will construct potential thesis statements for my essay regarding "Stimulating Controversy"
Frank Schulenburg. "US Declaration of Independence Draft" Jan 31 2011. Public Domain.
Pertinent Information

Author
Gad Alon, PhD & PT. He earned his master's degree from the Medical College of Virginia and his PhD from the University of Maryland.

Purpose
The text he writes discusses the current issues associated with electrical stimulation in physical therapy.

Audience
Other physical therapists, patients considering the treatment, medical students

Ethos
Tone, word choice, unbiased information

Logos
Expert opinion, examples, clear transitions

Pathos
Repetition of key words

Thesis Statements

1. Due to his expertise in the field, Gad Alon composes a quality article of the promising possibilities for the proper use of electrical stimulation in physical therapy while also discussing the set backs that currently abide with the treatment.

2. In his compelling article on electrical stimulation in physical therapy, Gad Alon discusses how the treatment can be used in an effective and proper way.

My current thesis statements are pretty broad. This is because the article itself does not have one specific direction but instead talks about the downsides of electrical stimulation but ends on a positive note which makes the argument of my essay difficult to define.

Reflection
I reviewed Kelly's and Morgan's blog posts. Both of them constructed very nice thesis statements. From reading their posts I realized that these statements are a little different from the cookie-cutter ones I was used to writing in high school. I also realized that my particular article has a looser argument than that of my peers. Both of theirs takes on a concise direction while mine is less concrete. I think in my essay I should take what the author says and tweak it into more of an argument.



4 comments:

  1. I believe your second thesis statement reads as more of a summary than a precursor to what your essay will be about. I would suggest incorporating some of the rhetorical strategies you mentioned above into one or both of your thesis's. They're very well-written; however, I didn't feel I had a good sense of what strategies your author utilized in discussing the current complications involved in this treatment, only that he discussed its setbacks and benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your theses, but I think it is important to include specific rhetorical strategies that the author uses. For example, for your 2nd thesis, your main argument is "Gad Allon discusses the current complications that are involved with the treatment" How does he argue this? Don't be afraid to use complex sentences either. (you could start with "while..." or "Because..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued by your theses (thesi???) I also like how well written they are, very understandable and to the point. Not convoluted and clear. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Really enjoyed reading your thesis. Not only was in well structured and thought out, but it also left me as a reader wondering if there are any additional point that would help your claim even more. While the thesis and claims made overall were clearly stated, I found your explanation of the author's strategies used to address the issue rather confusing. Yes he/she may have used those appeals, but in what manner?

    ReplyDelete