Sunday, October 25, 2015

Analyzing Context

In this post I will answer questions from Reading Public Lives.
Hanoitaxi. "Three Kekachi Mountains" Jan 28 2010. Public Domain.

1.  What are the key perspectives or schools of thought on the debate that you are studying?

The key perspectives involve the effects of the treatment itself on the body and the social and cultural factors of the treatment. More specifically, this would be the side effects of the treatment, the costs of the treatment, the uses of it, etc.

2.  What are the major points of contention or major disagreements among these perspectives?

The major problems that have come into question include the cost, as some insurance companies do not cover the treatment. There have also been problems with physical therapists being hesitant to use it due to the treatment being sort of time sensitive in order to work most effectively. 

3.   What are the major points of agreement, or the possible common ground between these 
perspectives?

When used correctly, the treatment is very effective in treating injuries. Many studies have proven it's effectiveness. The common ground between the two perspectives is the time sensitivity aspect of the treatment.

4.  What are the ideological differences, if any, between the perspectives?

The differences between the ideology of the two perspective is that one is factual and the other is more based on the cultural aspect of things (It's effective but insurance doesn't cover it).

5.  What specific actions do their perspectives or texts ask their audience to take? 

They ask the audience to consider all of the other factors of the treatment other than it's effectiveness. 

6.  What perspectives are useful in supporting your own argument about the issue? Why did you choose these?

Since I have personal experience with electrical therapy, I think that will create a strong argument because I can share my personal story with the success and truth that I have found through research of this story. I also think factual information will support my argument. 

7.  What perspectives do you think will be the greatest threat to your argument? Why so?

I think facts and solid evidence will be the greatest threat because there's no disagreeing with them.

Reflection
I reviewed Alyssa's post and Kelly's post. All of our arguments were pretty similar as they all pertain to somewhat medical topics. Because of this, we all decided that basing our arguments on facts was the most effective route to take. This way it is difficult to argue against it. Also, my topic and Alyssa's topic both have other cultural factors that play a large role in our subjects. This made me realize that these topics need to be discussed in our projects.




3 comments:

  1. You're answer to these questions makes me feel like you're already very well prepared for Project 3. I found it interesting that you have personal experience with the controversy you chose, and can add a new perspective with that experience. I'm having a hard time with my topic in that sense, as it is completely unrelated to me. I'm struggling to think of ways that I could add something new to the argument. You seem to be very well off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell that you really thought about the different perspectives involved in your topic. I am doing a physical therapy-related topic as well but I found it harder to find ideological differences. I also think that your personal experience with the practice could add a whole other persecutive to you're piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two perspectives you chose are very interesting. Mostly, people's perspectives tend to be for or against a certain topic, so it is interesting to see how your perspectives are not like that and rather go more into depth with a certain viewpoint. You definitely seem prepared for Project 3 and seem to have a very good understadning of your context!

    Ayra Sabir

    ReplyDelete