Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In this post I will be analyzing my personal values in relation to my text of choice.
Unknown. "Outer Surface of the Human Brain" February 25 2011.  Public Domain
 1. What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do I share with the society or culture in which the text was written? 

Similar to the text, I believe that cost, health issues, and expertise in applying the treatment being used are important values. Due to the fact that I have personally experienced electrical stimulation in physical therapy, I can relate to a lot the concerns that come up throughout the controversy. I experienced difficulty in cost and effectiveness of the treatment as the article discusses. I also experienced lack of confidence in my therapists which made the treatment a bit nerve-wracking.

2. What cultural or social values, beliefs, etc., do I not share? Why not? 

In all honestly all of the beliefs discussed in the article were valid to me. I did not find an idea that I disagreed with.

3. If the text is written in a cultural distant or different from our own, what social values, beliefs, etc., connect to or reflect our own culture? What social values, beliefs, etc., can we not see in our own culture?

Social values discussed that relate to my current culture is the qualification of the physical therapist performing the treatment. Our culture values high quality medical care and ensures that all professionals in the medical field are highly qualified. Because physical therapist's confidence to perform the treatment is low, this is a main concern. There were no values in the article that did not relate to our culture.

4. If the text is written in our culture but in a different historical time, how have the social values, beliefs, etc., developed or changed over time?

Since the article was written in 2001, it is still considered pretty relevant in the medical field. Especially since I experienced the same dilemmas in 2014. From personal experience, I can confirm that the social values, beliefs, etc., have not changed since the article was written.

Reflection
I reviewed Alyssa's post and Nick's post. Reading my peers posts made me realize that I agreed with all of the ideas from my article. Alyssa discussed how her own culture couldn't apply to some of the text simply because she's a girl and her article had to do with the circumcision of males at birth. Nick discussed the overall society's assumptions on the topic which did not always agree with the topic. I realized that due to my personal experience with electrical stimulation it makes my assumptions easier to relate to the text and helps me understand the conflict overall.






2 comments:

  1. I like the topic you have chosen on electrical stimulation. I did not know that there was a controversy surrounding the use. But after reading through the article that you've found, I understand how maintaining such therapy can be very costly. I myself have gone through a similar kind of electrical stimulation but for the purpose of weight training and muscle growth and movement. I found the ease of access in my case was very affordable while now having the understanding of its uses in physical therapy, the cost is almost not worth the benefit of health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Nick, I was unaware of this controversy. I have no experience with this field, but I can see why there are cost, health, and expertise concerns associated with it since it seems to be a relatively new method. As research continues, and technology improves, I expect the controversy to die down. Although, your observation that the article is from 2001 and is still applicable now contradicts that idea. This is an interesting topic to follow.

    ReplyDelete