Thursday, August 27, 2015

My Writing Process

Below I'm going to discuss my past and present writing techniques.

1. I consider myself to be most like a sequential composer. I'm definitely not a heavy planner and have never been enough of a procrastinator to consider myself part of the category. I start things enough in advance most of the time and don't frequently find myself struggling with time.

2. I would say my writing style is about 70% sequential composer and 30% revisor. It all depends on the topic and time frame of the assignment. If it's a topic I'm really interested and want to do the best I can I will revise more than usual, so it varies.

3. I believe my writing style has been pretty successful so far. It only fails when I get writers block and can't begin writing. In that case I won't be as sequential and I'll skip around and begin my body paragraphs before anything else and this seems to work out pretty well for me also. When I do begin my writing in order with a clear structure in mind my writing seems to flow well and I get a lot done at a time.

4. It could be beneficial to try a new writing style. My current technique hasn't failed me yet but I know there is room for improvement. I'm not confident that trying new writing styles would be very successful because I'm so comfortable working the way that I have. If I did try something new it would take me time to master it.
"Williams Bay, Wisconsin 042" by Gepard12 - Own work. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Williams_Bay,_Wisconsin_042.jpg#/media/File:Williams_Bay,_Wisconsin_042.jpg

I also learned quite a lot about my peers writing styles by reading and commenting on Jayni's blog and Emma's blog. Reading these posts made me realize a few things. One, I'm not alone in my techniques and feeling a bit weird about not having a concrete writing style; and two, that I can learn a lot about writing from my peers and borrow some of their techniques to make me a better writer. From Jayni's blog, I picked up the use of an outline as a useful skill I'll probably use in the near future. Because we both consider ourselves sequential composers that have trouble initially starting our writing, an outline helps to keep us on topic and allows us to jump from place to place without confusion. Emma's blog inspired me to get excited about every piece I write. I could see her passion for writing in her posts and it inspired me to get excited about everything I'll have to write. I can see that her passion is something that makes her such a good writer. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I think that you have a pretty good system down as far as your basic writing process goes. I wish I were more like a sequential composer; instead, I wait until inspiration comes, write in a stream of consciousness, and then revise, a lot.

    Revision is meant to fix grammar and convention problems, and is less about structuring essays. Since you do a lot of planning, your first drafts are probably way better than mine. In revising, I do a lot of restructuring, so it takes forever.

    I think by the point we're at, we all have individual writing styles that are pretty well developed. We have different processes, but they have worked in our favor thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I believe we both share a similar style or approach when it comes to writing; especially, when it comes to the good balance between planning and revision. While I do associate myself as a "Heavy Planner," I believe I am more inclined to plan accordingly yet stay away from any severe procrastination.

    I don't think you need to really improve on the revision aspect of your writing style, as it is more associated with grammatical errors or punctuation. I think if you plan enough, which you apparently do, you won't need to revise extensively as you think you do.

    I revise my work a lot, but sometimes I feel that those revisions are either paranoia or brash attempts to make the essay sound more intelligent. But, at this point I think the class has a similar writing style. Plan, Write, Revise, Correct, add silly Vocabulary, and Revise again.

    So far it has worked for me; hopefully it will work in English 109H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    It seems as if you already have a pretty good way of writing. I personally am a very Heavy Revisor so it is a little different than yours. However, I do very easily relate to the point you said about having a clear structure to help organize your ideas.

    I too try to make outlines and such in order to organize my thoughts and start my writing.

    I think that you should branch out and try different writing processes. It may be scary but maybe when you experiment you will something that works even better for you than what you do now. Just don't be afraid to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Isabel! I noticed after reading your blog post that we don't really have a similar approach to writing (I'm a heavy revisor, and I tend to write out of order). Now that it's the end of the semester, I have some questions for you about your writing process.

    1. How has outlining changed your writing process?

    2. Did you try any new writing processes this year purposely? If so, were you successful? Are there any permanent changes you'd like to make to your writing process?

    3. I'm jealous of your time management. Have you found that as the workload increased and the semester went on, you maintained your time management skills? Is there anything specifically that helped you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outlining has made my writing process so much easier and quicker. I find that once I know how I'm going to structure everything it takes me very little time to get all my ideas down. The only new writing processes I tried were the ones we were required to do (so outlining and a lot more preparation) which really helped me out. I think I'll probably continue this way. As the semester went on I found that the workload didn't change but I just became more adjusted to the amount I was expected to do and it actually became much easier to manage. What specifically helped me was knowing everything I had to do for the week and planning out when I would do them.

    ReplyDelete