Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Thoughts on Comments

In this post I will be discussing comments I consider to have credibility and comments that lack credibility on a controversy regarding the Fitbit. Although this article takes a different approach to why Fitbits take the wrong approach to achieving health, it still gets the point across.

I'm going to begin with comments that I feel do not have credibility.



I chose Lisa's comment because it's obvious she has made assumptions about radiation from technology. She also veered off topic from the other content of the article and only focused on the section of EMF radiation of the article which could be inaccurate in the first place. She seems to be expressing a fear of radiation and is looking for some information that will confirm her fear even if it is inaccurate.

I saw Jolene's comment as lacking credibility because she has created a fantasy that her Fitbit is the cause of her menstrual abnormalities. She describes that she is a 47 year old woman. To me, her symptoms sound like those of menopause and I believe she might be a bit in denial. It is clear that she is seeking out something to blame her aging on. 

Comments I found credible were ones where it was obvious the commenter had done research on the topic. 

John made his knowledge on the subject quite clear. He shows no signs of fear or fantasy and is simply stating the obvious issue with the article. He shows no bias towards or against the Fitbit but instead is stating his knowledge on electromagnetic fields.


I decided that Kathy's comment deserved credibility because she states that she has done research on the product and has personal experience. She does show some wishes and fantasies about the item but I don't believe it has any effect on her opinion on her fitness band yet. 

Reflection
I have reviewed posts on Savannah's blog and Nick's blog regarding comments credibility on an article they discussed. I found that they had a similar strategy to finding comments that they thought possessed credibility and ones that lacked it. For both blogs, they chose comments that showed an unbiased statement of facts related to the controversy. Another indication of credible comments is expression of personal experience. Comments that lacked credibility were very opinionated and more often than not incorrect. From reading my peers blog posts I learned how to pick and chose comments to represent credibility. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree that the most credible comments are those that show that the commentator has done some research or has some prior knowledge. I think you did a really good job of separating the fact from fantasy, especially in the first comment. I think you're method of evaluating comment credibility is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you ended your post on a good note of putting the credible comments last while putting the ones lacking credibility first. I found myself very very confused by the first commenter and even more so the second, I can see obviously see why you labeled them as lacking. If there were emoticons on this thing I'd put a bunch of them laughing ones. But as for the last two comments I totally agree that these people actually read the article and took into consideration what it had to say, and even what they were going to say.

    ReplyDelete